Posted by: Neelam Talreja | Posted on: 06/09/13 | Comments: 0
The land of diversity - India, also provides shelter to various beautiful species of birds both resident and migrant birds. Thus, there are numerous bird sanctuaries in India that are considered as a paradise for nature and bird lovers. In India, about 1200 species of birds are found and therefore, their beautiful colors and structure attract bird lovers from all across the world to visit India. India is one of the sought-after destinations for bird watching.
Here are the top ten bird sanctuaries in India that are worth visiting as they provide shelter to various resident and migratory birds.
Painted Stork at Keoladeo National Park
Keoladeo Ghana National Park is the other common name of Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary, located in Rajasthan. This is probably the finest bird sanctuaries in India and the world. The Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary has also earned huge appreciation for India as a worthy travel destination. Apart from big forts, Great Thar Desert, beautiful lakes, serene beaches, the Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary has also resulted in an increase in the footfall in India from all across the globe. Winter is the season when various migratory birds seek shelter in India.
• Birds: Herons, Cormorants, Storks, Common Teal, Gadwall, Comb Duck, Ruff,Great Cormorant, Common Sandpiper, Asian Open-Billed Stork, Green Sandpiper, Painted Stork, Wood Sandpiper, Sarus Crane, White Spoonbill, Darter, Indian Shag, Oriental Ibis, Cotton Teal, Little Cormorant, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, etc.
Sarus Crane at Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary, photo courtesy- wikipedia
Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary provides shelter to various beautiful resident and migratory birds. This sanctuary is located at Gurgaon in Haryana. Though the sanctuary is spread over a small area, it features a shallow freshwater lake. Every year, there are about 100 species of migratory birds are spotted in the sanctuary. Along with birds, the sanctuary also provides shelter to various flying predators and wild animals.
• Resident Birds: Black Francolin, Painted Stork, Little Cormorant, Black headed Ibis, Little Egret, White-throated Kingfisher, India Crested Lark, Purple Sunbird, Common Hoopoe, Eurasian Thick-knee, White Ibis, Spot billed Duck, Cattle Egret, Gray Francolin, Great Egret, Indian Roller, Paddyfield Pipit, etc.
• Migratory Birds: Siberian Cranes, Common Teal, Ruff, White Wagtail, Common Greenshank, Rosy Pelican, Greater Flamingo, Yellow Wagtail, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Black winged Stilt, etc.
Snowy Egrets at Ranganathittu
Located in proximity with the banks of River Kaveri in Karnataka, Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary is a sought-after attraction for bird lovers. The sanctuary provides shelter for various migratory birds that are known for their beautiful colors and structure. Travelers to Mysore also make sure that do not miss to explore the exotic flora and fauna of Mysore. It is situated at a distance of 20 km from the popular Brindavan garden that are located adjacent to the Krishnarajasagara dam.
• Birds: Painted Stork, Common Spoonbill, Stork-Billed Kingfisher, Woolly-Necked Stork, Oriental Darter, Streak-Throated Swallows, Egrets, Great Stone Plover, Indian Shag, River Tern, Cormorants, Herons, Black-Headed Ibis, Asian Openbill Stork, Lesser Whistling Duck, etc.
The oldest bird sanctuary in India, Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary, is located in Tamil Nadu. The geographical setting of the lake attracts various migratory birds to find shelter. The sanctuary is a paradise for bird watchers and nature lovers.
• Resident Birds: Large Egret, Darter, Night Herons, Cormorants, Moorhen, Grebes, Pond Heron, Painted Stork, Terns, Sandpiper, White Ibis, Pintails, Shovellers, Paddy Bird, Little Egrets, etc.
• Migratory Birds: Grey Heron (Bangladesh), Snake Bird (Sri Lanka), Glossy Ibis (Sri Lanka), Garganey Teals (Canada), Spot Bill Duck (Burma), Grey Pelican (Australia), Painted Stork (Siberia), Open-billed Stork (Bangladesh), Spoonbill (Burma), etc.
The Kolleru Lake Bird Sanctuary is located amidst the delta of the river Godavari and river Krishna in Andhra Pradesh. In the south India, this is one of the cleanest and greatest lakes. Thus, this provides shelter to various migratory and resident birds.
• Resident Birds: Asian Open-Billed Storks (Anastomus Oscitans), White Ibises, Painted Storks (Mycteria Leucocephala), Pintails, Grey Pelicans, Shovellers, Teals, Glossy Ibises, etc
• Migratory Birds: Blackwinged Stilts, Red-Crested Pochards, Cormorants, Common Red Shanks, Flamingos, Wigeons, Herons, Avocets, Gadwalls, Garganys, etc.
The Chilka Lake Bird Sanctuary has attracted tourists from all across the globe due to beautiful birds and also the ideal location. The world popular Chilka Lake is pear-shaped and one of the ideal destinations in India to watch some of the beautiful resident and migratory birds.
• Rare Birds: Dalmatian Pelican (VU), Spoon-billed Sandpiper (CR), Asiatic Dowitchers (NT), Spot-billed pelican (NT), Pallas's Fish-eagles (VU), etc.
• Raptor Birds: White-Bellied Sea Eagle, Kestrel, Brahminy Kites, Peregrine Falcon, Pariah Kite, Marsh Harriers, etc.
• Other Birds: Dunlin, Larks, Lapwings, Godwits, Coots, Little Cormorants, Pintails, Geese, Shovellers, Coots, Pond Herons, Night Herons, Moorhens, Wagtails, Stilts, Sandpipers, Collared Pratincole, Plovers, Snipes Ruff, Jacanas, Avocets, Brahminy Ducks, Kingfishers, Rollers, Pochards, Gadwall, Teals, etc.
The beautiful Nal Sarovar Bird Sanctuary is one of the sought-after choices of visitors in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. This is probably the largest wetland bird sanctuary in India where the bird lovers could spot some of the beautiful species of birds.
• Birds: Rosy Pelicans, Herons, White Storks, Cormorant, Pelican Egret, Crane, Ducks, Flamingoes, Brahminy Ducks, etc.
The Mayani Bird Sanctuary is popular at international level as it provides shelter for various migratory birds. The sanctuary is located in Satara district of Maharashtra. The geographical location makes it’s a perfect destination for the migratory birds to get shelter.
• Birds: Coot, Northern Shoveler, Painted Storks, Flamingos, Common Spoon Bills, Stork, Kingfisher, Brahminy Ducks, Black Ibis, etc.
Salim Ali Bird sanctuary is a very popular bird sanctuary in India. Located in Goa, the sanctuary is a paradise for bird lovers. Here, the visitors could spot some of the amazing species of fauna. The birds here could be spotted in all possible colors and sizes. Among the major tourists Attractions in Goa, Salim Ali Bird sanctuary is one of the sought-after.
• Birds: Kingfishers, Kites, Egrets, Sandpiper, Eagles, Wood Peckers, Drongos, Herons, Hoopoe, Myna, Redshank, Curlews, etc.
Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is also popular as Vembanad bird sanctuary, located in Kerala, near to the Vembanad Lake. This sanctuary is a paradise for nature and bird lovers. The visitors could spot some of the beautiful resident and migratory birds.
• Birds: Egret, Cuckoo, Cormorant, Duck, Darter, Teal, Flycatcher, Siberian Crane, Lark, Brahminy Kite, Parrot, Owl, Moorhen, Waterfowl, Heron, etc.
Neelam Talreja is a Travel Writer with keen interest in writing about incredible destinations. Her write-ups are detailed and... more»
More by the Author